Our purpose is to follow Jesus Christ and to keep Christ at the center of our lives. We aspire to strengthen our identity as a home of extravagant welcome where friends and strangers alike encounter God’s love.
Our Common Commission:
Let us go forth into the world in peace, being of good courage, holding fast to that which is good, rendering to no one evil for evil, strengthening the faint-hearted, supporting the weak, helping the afflicted, honoring all persons, loving and serving the Lord, and rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Our Open and Affirming Statement:
We, the Church of Christ Congregational (UCC) of Norfolk, Connecticut, seek to keep Christ in the center of our lives, and we strive to provide an extravagant welcome to all persons. Therefore we declare ourselves to be an Open and Affirming church. We embrace the diversity in our community, and we affirm the dignity and worth of every person created in the image of God. We welcome into full membership and participation in the Body of Christ persons of every race, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, economic or marital status, family structure and faith background. We understand that oppression and discrimination of any kind is incompatible with Christ’s Gospel of unconditional love. Through our diversity we seek to grow in a unity of faith.
Our Values and Goals:
- We seek to grow in our expression of love for the body of Christ both locally and globally. We are called to support and serve those in need.
- We embrace our role as a community church for the people of Norfolk and this region. We seek to further open our doors and hearts to our neighbors through programs and events, and to be available to all in times of spiritual need.
- We are grateful for the ministry of our staff members. We strive to support their leadership.
- We respond joyfully to our need to give thanks and praise to God. We endeavor to expand the settings and styles of our worship, and to celebrate the place that music holds in our encounter with the divine.
- We cherish our children and youth. We seek ways to help our young people discover their gifts, and to strengthen their call to make a difference in our world.
- We recognize that our wealth, material and spiritual, at gifts from God and that we are stewards of those gifts. We are obliged to examine the uses of these resources and to achieve greater unity of purpose with the assets of this church, including the physical plant and the endowment.
- We devote ourselves to lives of spiritual growth and education. We look to provide ways for people of all ages to grow in their knowledge and understanding of Scripture, other faiths and our own UCC tradition.